Marketing and Public Relations Consultant | Venture, San Diego, CA | December 2009 - Present
Create and manage all phases of communication for several companies in the United States and Canada. Work with clients in a variety of markets, including photography, outdoor, tech, optical, home furnishings, automotive, thoroughbred racing, college and professional football.
- Advertising – Write copy, ad layout and design, buy media for print and digital ads.
- Public Relations – Produce all materials, including releases, trade show communication and project management. Pitch to editors and writers. Create collateral materials for clients, including newsletters and direct mail pieces.
- Social Media – Started social media campaigns for several clients. Ensured cohesive site branding across all platforms. Wrote and posted initial content enabling clients to assume day-to-day site management. Created proprietary blogs featuring sports and cooking.
- Editor/Publisher – Edited and published four editions of GO AZTECS! Self-published through CreateSpace.
- Photography – Shoot product photos for clients; sports action and nature photography. Greeting cards featuring my racing photos are sold in the gift shop at the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club. More than 20 of my photos appear in GO AZTECS!
Marketing Manager | Hunter Douglas, Poway, CA | June 1975 - November 2009
Began in the warehouse the summer before college and worked my way up to marketing manager. Collaborated with corporate marketing to develop and implement promotions and advertising programs that resulted in sales increases for both existing and new customers. Worked directly with window covering retailers to create multi-dealer ads in regional publications. Served on multiple national committees, including market steering, product innovation advisory and training. Designed and implemented training programs for retailers. Involved in all steps of new product rollouts in markets across the Southwest.
Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint; Adobe Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator; Blogger and WordPress.
San Diego State University | San Diego, CA | September 1975 - May 1980
Bachelor of Arts in Journalism with an emphasis in Advertising; Minor in Cultural and Urban Geography. Member of Ad Club, Track and Field team (discus and hammer throw).
San Diego City College | San Diego, CA | September 2016 - December 2016
Digital Media Course: Adobe Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop.